Most dogs LOVE treats, but everything they enjoy isn’t good for them! Some treats are full of sugar and other toxic ingredients, so why not put your apron on and spoil your pooch with some healthy, delicious snacks!
Sweet potato and apple pupcake ingredients.
A pupcake is a perfect treat to celebrate your dogs birthday, or to include them in the action of a family members birthday!
Muffin tin (Bone Shaped Mould)
A food processor
1/2 cup sweet potato
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup honey (local if possible to avoid unnecessary ingredients)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 small apple
1 large egg
2-3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp uncooked oats
2 ounces cream cheese
2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
1. Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4 / 180 C
2. Purée the sweet potato, and grate the small apple.
3. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato, apple, apple sauce, honey and coconut oil. The egg can then be added, stirring until the mixture is consistent. Finally, add the whole wheat flour and uncooked oats and stir until you have a thick batter.
4. Once everything has been mixed together, grease or line the pupcake mould/tin and fill with the batter. Put in the oven for 15-30 minutes (check that a toothpick/knife comes out clear)
5. Whilst the pupcakes are cooking / cooling, mix the cream cheese and apple sauce in a bowl.
6. Once the pupcakes are cool, spread the icing on top and serve!
DIY chicken strips
Strips of meat are perfect to reward your dog for good behaviour, or stuff in a KONG to get them busy for 5!
1-2 chicken breasts
1. Slice the chicken into thin strips, and place onto a baking sheet (one sheet on bottom and on top) in a tin.
2. Place the baking tin into a cold oven, and put it on gas mark 2 / 150 C – cook for 1 hour
3. Reduce the temperature to gas mark 1 / 100 C, open the oven door slightly (so that moisture can escape) and leave for a further 1.5-2 hours.
4. Remove from oven and allow to air dry, then store in a cool, dry place. Use within 1 week.
These can also be created with a dehydrator!
Two ingredient dog treat
A great, easy recipe for dog treats your dog will love!
2 cups whole wheat flour (or a mixture of wheat germ, spelt, rolled oats)
2 cups pureed fruit and vegetables – mixture of blueberry, sweet, potato, banana etc OR jars of baby food can be used
1. Pre heat oven to gas mark 4 / 180 C
2. Combine the ingredients to create a dough (If too thick, add water)
3. Roll mixture out evenly on a lightly floured surface, and cut into desired shapes (Dog cutters)
4. Place cut out treats on a baking sheet / greased tin – 1/2 inch apart
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes (until golden). Allow to cool, and store in air tight container.
You can be creative with these treats, adding in your dogs favourite fruit and veg!